Saturday, March 17, 2012

Unknown (Or At Least Unsure) Photos

       There are several photos that I can't identify.  A distant cousin, a sweet lady, sent me some photos in hopes that we (the McIntyres) might be able to put some names with the faces.  Her relatives also include the Cecils, who are not related to us. Some of these may be Cecils. I'll post a few now.  I think I have the one family identified; see if you agree.
   
Martha Sexton Crain
b. 1848, d. 1923
      This is Martha Sexton Crain, born in 1848, died 1923, sister to my gg grandfather, Christopher Columbus Sexton. As I've been looking at these for the last few months, I've noticed that:

1.  She has a lot of hair
2. That her hair sweeps from her left to her right
3. She has high cheekbones
4. Slightly probtruding earlobes
5. Her face is triangular, wider at the top, more narrow chin
6. Her mouth is large
7. She is wearing a collar that covers her neck
8. Her hair is light. Most likely gray or blonde.
9. A little research shows that she had three daughter, Savannah, Laura, and Salina
I have one more photo identified as Martha Crain in which she looks almost identical.




        I think this is the same person. She has the triangular face, hair that sweeps from her left to right. The ears and mouth also look right to me.   If it is Martha, then, my guess is that this is husband, William Crain, and the three daughters
   Sallie Sexton's brother and sisters are featured in several portraits along with their mother, Nancy V. Phillips Sexton.  I have seen only one poor quality photo of Christopher Columbus. Starting with the known, there is this photo.

And then, there is this one:

Bottom Left to Right: James William Truesdale "Bill" Sexton
and Caswell Sexton
Two Sisters in Back Row
     Personally, I wonder if these could be spouses instead of sisters, the pose makes me wonder. Does anyone know who they are?

   I'll post more unknown photos another day.
--Cheri

No comments:

Post a Comment