Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Emaline Purcell

      I noticed that it's been a month since I last posted.  I have been collecting information, trying to sort the Fry family and the Stewart family histories.   I've gathered plenty to read, but still haven't been able to add much to the letter from the last post. There are bits and pieces that I need to unravel and hopefully, will be able to make a coherent post, but not tonight.  It's been too long since I've written anything, so tonight, I will pass along some good photos and a little information about the Purcells. (The name Purcell comes from the same root as the English word pork and means, you guessed it, "little pig." Those historians who are kind say that the name probably denotes an occupation of swine-herder or that it may have been used at times as an affectionate name.   Personally, "pig" isn't something I want to hear from my loved ones.)
    
    The Purcell history is easy to trace to Ireland.  An internet search will even produce a picture of the family castle. Here's the link if you want to do a little study:  funks.net/genealogy/Purcell/Purcell_FamilyHistory.htm

The John Parcell who was married to Judith Ytie Jans on this page was ggggg grandfather to Emaline Purcell (Earl's maternal grandmother).
     Earl's mother was Ella Ann Adams.  Various sources say her name was Ellan or Ellen Ann, but family records all say Ella Ann.  Ella Ann's parents were Joseph A. Adams and Emeline (Emaline) Purcell Adams. A family document tells a little of Emeline's history.  It is a surprise to find a information about a female ancestor for a change.

Emeline is in front, 2nd from left in plaid.
        I know some of you have seen the above family history, so it's about time that I present something new. These are not the best photos, but they are the first I've come across for Emeline and her family.
Emeline is far right in front row.

No comments:

Post a Comment