Sunday, January 29, 2012

Lewis McIntyre

     I'm jumping around a bit, I admit it.  There seem to be all these little tidbits that I find interesting, so I want to share them with you.

     Grandpa Earl had a brother, Lewis McIntyre (b. August 1889), who died in 1913 while riding his motorcycle, reportedly in the tornado that hit on Easter Sunday.  That would make the date of his death April 23rd, but some of the records say July 3rd.  I can't explain the descrepancy, but I did find an interesting photo.  Lewis died at 30th and California in Omaha, NE.  There are several photos online showing the aftermath of the storm, and among them was this photo taken at 38th and California.  The destruction is amazing.
And being me, I went off on a tangent wondering what a motorcyle would look like in 1913.  So, here's an ad for the 1909 Indian.  A blurb says that 1907 was the first year that Indian put out a street bike.

1909 ad for Indian motorcycle

-Cheri

No comments:

Post a Comment